Copy Editing Checklist
- Sentences are clear, direct, and concise.
- Repetition is used effectively.
- Parallel structure is used effectively.
- Heads, lists, and sentences have parallel construction.
- Headings follow hierarchy guidelines.
- Voice and tone are consistent.
- Text is easy to follow.
- Information is complete and appropriately placed.
- Transitions between parts, chapters, and sections are clear.
- Transitions are effective on screen and on paper.
- Cross-references are correct, worthwhile, and sufficient.
- Sentences are complete.
- Subjects and verbs, and pronouns and antecedents agree.
- Verb tense is consistent.
- Modifiers are used appropriately.
- Word choice and sentence structure follow guidelines for localization.
- Long sentences are divided for readability and localization.
Punctuation, Capitalization, and Spelling
- Punctuation follows editorial and documentation set guidelines.
- Capitalization is consistent and follows editorial and documentation set guidelines.
- Spelling is consistent and follows editorial and documentation set guidelines.
- Typeface conventions are followed in all book elements.
- Product names are used correctly and consistently.
- Trademarks are used correctly.
- New terms are defined and appear in a glossary, if there is one.
- Abbreviations and acronyms follow editorial and localization guidelines.
- Numbers and symbols follow editorial and localization guidelines.
- Cross-references are punctuated correctly and refer to the intended target.
- Numbered lists and steps are used appropriately and are numbered correctly.
- Figures and tables are referred to in preceding text.
- Table continuations are noted correctly.
- Notes, Cautions, and Warnings are used correctly.
- Jump tables are used correctly.
- Footnotes are used correctly.
- Running footers and page numbers are correct.
Formatting and Layout
- Book conforms to company publications standards.
- Standard templates and formats are used.
- Page breaks and line breaks are effective.
- Graphics are consistent throughout the book.
- Illustrations follow artwork and localization guidelines.
- Figure callouts are capitalized correctly and are in the correct font.
- Title page has correct title, part number, and revision number.
- Credits page is current and trademarks (including third-party trademarks) are listed.
- Table of contents includes correct heads and is formatted correctly.
- Figures and tables are listed in the table of contents.
- The preface uses the correct template and contains correct chapter numbers, titles, and descriptions.
- The typographical conventions section within the preface is current.
- Page numbers at the bottom of the pages are correct.
- Appendixes are in the correct order.
- Templates and formats are used correctly in appendixes and glossaries.
- Bibliography is presented correctly.
- Glossary terms are alphabetized, appropriate for audience, and defined clearly.
- Index is complete, double-posted effectively, and formatted correctly.
- Page numbers are correct.